Hello again!
Our sermon at church today was about how to avoid burnout and was entitled "Solomon's Anti-Burnout Seminar" (see http://www.fellowshipoffaith.net/ to listen in entirety). Our lead pastor Greg Scott said the way to avoid burnout is to have balance. This I struggle with. I tend to "hyper-focus"--those of you fellow ADDers out there will identify with me on that one, I'm sure. I sometimes feel like I especially am out of balance when it comes to my health and wellness these days--it feels like that's all I think about, and my family feels like that's all I talk about!
SO, I have to admit that sometimes I have to take a time-out--when it begins to make me so crazy that I'm stressing over it, I realize that that is counterproductive, and I have to be a little less healthy for a couple days 'til I'm feeling more...well, balanced, again.
And I've got to admit that when I heard Eccles. 1:18 this morning, "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief", I thought, "Sometimes that's exactly how I feel about all this knowledge I've gained about health and wellness. My friend Cindy in Nashville puts it this way--"ignorance is bliss!". On my good days, I feel that knowledge is power, and I would never go back to the unhealthy state I was in--that's it all been worth it. BUT...I do have days when I say "ignorance is bliss!". Oh for the days when I ate regular pizza and ice cream and didn't know that was what was making me feel so crappy!
The other thing I want to talk about tonight is the old adage "everything in moderation". If I could have done this from birth--antibiotics in moderation (or not at all!), simple carbs in moderation, coffee! in moderation, etc., boy, I'd be sitting pretty right now. But that's not how it worked out, and now I'm "paying the piper", and will be for many years before I get my body back in balance. THEN I can do everything in moderation. Well, not EVERYTHING--I hope to forever leave refined sugars and flours, caffeine and unhealthy fats behind except for the very occasional "infraction" on birthdays and holidays. It'll be nice to have those infractions without having to worry if my Epi-pen is expired!
So for those people who live by that adage and think I'm crazy for being so careful about what I take in, I hope this helps you understand my perspective a little bit more.
Coming up soon...H1N1--preparing your body for it and getting over it quick; and "What's Wrong With Wheat?"
'til then,
blessing and prayers!
shari
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment